Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:27:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon auctioning their 55nm chips  (Read 8104 times)
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 08:39:52 PM

I just got an email from Tradehill.

We are pleased to announce the launch of our next auction. BitSyncom is auctioning their Avalon ASIC A3255-Q48 chips: the second generation SHA256 Processor. BitSyncom will be auctioning off 20 reels of 500 chips per reel. Each chip outputs 1.5-1.6 GH/s at a standard 0.9V, with 2.05W consumption. The minimum bid for a single reel will be 24 BTC.

For more detailed information on the A3255-Q48 mining chip, please see Avalon’s Datasheet. This product has already cleared customs and is ready to ship upon the close of the auction.

Bidders who have deposited bitcoin in their Tradehill Auction accounts may begin bidding as of Friday November 1, 2013, 1:00 PM EST. The auction will close on Tuesday November 5, 2013, 2:00 PM EST.

All bidders that have submitted identity documents since the close of the prior auction should have received a response from Tradehill Auction Support either indicating that their account has been approved or detailing additional documentation needs.
For support related to your auction account, please contact auctionsupport@tradehill.com.

For questions related to product specifications or shipping details, please contact support@avalon-asic.com.

Thank you,

Tradehill Auction Support

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoiner49er

Activity: 457
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 08:44:53 PM

Cheesy When's delivery? Whenever YiFu feels like it? When it clears customs? When the mafia lets him drop the packages at DHL?  Roll Eyes

Homo doctus is se semper divitias habet
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 08:46:39 PM

We are pleased to announce the launch of our next auction. BitSyncom is auctioning their Avalon ASIC A3255-Q48 chips: the second generation SHA256 Processor. BitSyncom will be auctioning off 20 reels of 500 chips per reel. Each chip outputs 1.5-1.6 GH/s at a standard 0.9V, with 2.05W consumption. The minimum bid for a single reel will be 24 BTC.

Isn't that worse performance when compared against Bitfury chips ?
Dexter770221
Legendary

Activity: 1029
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 08:53:44 PM

Yep, it is somwhere 50% worse performance.

Under development Modular UPGRADEABLE Miner (MUM). Looking for investors.
Changing one PCB with screwdriver and you have brand new miner in hand... Plug&Play, scalable from one module to thousands.
fractal02

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 08:54:13 PM

"This product has already cleared customs and is ready to ship upon the close of the auction"

They work in the shadow now...
MrTeal (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 08:57:30 PM

Yes, it's worse than the Bitfury chips. Better power numbers than BFL though. It will be interesting to see how well they sell.
AdamKD

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 08:59:17 PM

Bitfury Chips > Avalon Chips.

More than likely Avalon is looking for some cash flow to produce miners and, possibly, expect as much as 800-1000 btc from this auction to buy components ...

Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:01:54 PM

At $6.50 per GH/s as the Minimum bid just for the chip?   You would have to be a complete and utter moron to bid on these.

rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:04:09 PM

May avalon sell a lot of chips and honor their tradein program...  Kiss
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:09:03 PM

Batch 1 ROId,
Batch 2 ROId,
Batch 3 got refunded,
Chips got refunded.

Did anyone got screwed by Avalon? Please tell me, because i stopped following them after batch 2.

Kudos to Avalon. (FY for being unable to find resistors&capacitors in damn China, but at least you didn't screwed everyone as others did).

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
AdamKD

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:10:43 PM

At $6.50 per GH/s as the Minimum bid just for the chip?   You would have to be a complete and utter moron to bid on these.

Yea ... add to that the assembly and component costs ...

Also, who would bid on this based on a current announcement?  You'd have to rush the PCB and the components based on their design on the GITHUB and *PRAY* that it works.  There's no:

1) Sample chips
2) Examples of verified design based on GITHUB docs

Chips got refunded.

The refund was only as a precaution to avoid litigation.  It can't avoid litigation due to breach of contract if someone wants to litigate ... more than likely they got legal counsel for this decision.  The chip refunds and delays are crap.  Avalon has not provided sufficient compensation for the refunds.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:14:03 PM

Chips got refunded.
The refund was only as a precaution to avoid litigation.  The chip refunds and delays are crap.  Avalon has not provided sufficient compensation for the refunds.
Well, you got a full refund in BTC, what else could have you hoped for? Free money for the lost time? Are you following what's happening with HF's batch 1 customers (such as me)? That's orders of magnitude worse.

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:14:14 PM

Batch 1 ROId,
Batch 2 ROId,
Batch 3 got refunded,
Chips got refunded.

Did anyone got screwed by Avalon? Please tell me, because i stopped following them after batch 2.

Kudos to Avalon. (FY for being unable to find resistors&capacitors in damn China, but at least you didn't screwed everyone as others did).

People who built the pcb expecting the chips to arrive in time, thus losing time and money?
Tradein people who spent, in vain, hundreds of USD to send equipment to China and never got an email back, losing time money and hundreds USD worth of FPGA assets and Im not accounting for the BTC that they would have mined with those fpga.
AdamKD

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:16:18 PM

Chips got refunded.
The refund was only as a precaution to avoid litigation.  The chip refunds and delays are crap.  Avalon has not provided sufficient compensation for the refunds.
Well, you got a full refund in BTC, what else could have you hoped for? Free money for the lost time? Are you following what's happening with HF's batch 1 customers (such as me)? That's orders of magnitude worse.

Breach of contract.  I'm not going to say what I'd hope for.  I'm going to say what they did is insufficient with regards to compensation.

Why are you comparing HF batch 1 customers to what Avalon did?  Are these two issues the same?  Is this a whose e-p33n is bigger type of deal?
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:24:16 PM
Last edit: October 31, 2013, 09:46:56 PM by Minor Miner

Batch 1 ROId,
Batch 2 ROId for Avalon who mined Batch 2 and then bought more chips to build and ship Batch 2 to the actual paying customers 7 weeks later and yes, then those customers ROIed.
Batch 3 got refunded,  WHAT??   No one has ROIed on batch III yet.
Chips got refunded.

FTFY

GodfatherBond

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:45:15 PM

Batch 1 ROId,
Batch 2 ROId,
Batch 3 got refunded,
Chips got refunded.

Batch 3 delivery was three months late which made it negative at least for me.
cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:51:29 PM

Batch 2 ROId for Avalon who mined Batch 2 and then bought more chips to build and ship Batch 2 to the actual paying customers 7 weeks later and yes, then those customers ROIed.
Batch 3 got refunded,  WHAT??   No one has ROIed on batch III yet.
I also received Batch 2 with April firmware and full of dust, so yes, i know. I always complained, (back when they first put of the first resistor&capacitor bs, but without success, everyone was still loving avalon for being the first to market).
About batch 3 you are right, sorry.

RoadStress
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 09:52:50 PM

Batch 1 ROId,
Batch 2 ROId,
Batch 3 got refunded,
Chips got refunded.

You must be joking. They screwed everyone from direct customers to boards manufacturers(burnin was down 20k euros) by delaying their chips and even if they refunded the BTC for chips customers got screwed by paying for assembly...so yeah a big fuck you to avalon.

andrei.u

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 11:02:11 PM

I wasn't too disappointed by AVALON with the 10K chip order ( 4 weeks delay) ...but i find the price too high....i would pay half of it ...more, it doesn't worth it...i purchased a 10k Batch with a friend  (50-50) and it's waaaaay to much work to mount them (apart from assembling the PCBs) ....cut&crimp 2000 wires for the connectors...and so on...
aTg
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
October 31, 2013, 11:12:37 PM

Now they are not the only ones that sell chips is clearly seen as their prices are ridiculously high.
Too bad their first chips buyers could not compare prices...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: